School Crossing Guard Part-Time
Application Deadline: June 30, 2023 17:00
Pay Rate: Hourly Rate $15.00
ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTRACTED THROUGH EXPRESS EMPLOYMENT PROFESSIONALS.
Please apply directly with Express located at 2394 Tamiami Trail, Port Charlotte, FL 33952
CHARLOTTE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
Class Title School Crossing Guard Part-Time Bargaining Unit Non-Union
Pay Grade Hourly Rate Bureau
Grade Civilian Division Intelligence
FLSA Status Non-exempt (FLSA Code) Section Juvenile/ SRO
Safety Sensitive Position Yes EEO Category Administrative Support
This class is a part time position during the school year. The school crossing guard regulates, directs and controls school-aged children at a designated school crossing while they are going to and from school past such intersections. The crossing guard remains alert to prevent children from attempting to cross a street when traffic is moving. The crossing guard determines when to stop and hold vehicular traffic for children to safely cross using issued traffic control devices. The crossing guard work is under the general supervision of the Traffic Unit Supervisor.
Essential Job Functions
• Supervises crossing of school-aged children during the hours when children are going to and from school.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Assures the safety of children who have to cross at designated school crossings.
• Correctly positions him/herself at the edge of the roadway in front of children prior to crossing.
• Executes the proper search pattern (left, right, left and over shoulder) before entering the roadway.
• Ensures that children remain on the sidewalk or at the edge of the roadway until they are told to cross.
• Properly positions him/herself in roadway for maximum visibility when children are crossing.
• Ensures that all motor vehicle traffic has stopped on the roadway that will be crossed before allowing children to cross.
• Instructs children to cross behind him/her.
• Remains in the intersection until all children have safely crossed the roadway.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of basic regulations pertaining to school zones.
• Ability to work out of doors in a variety of weather conditions.
• Ability to develop a positive relationship with children.
• Ability to earn the respect of children.
• Ability to exercise mature judgment in emergencies.
• Ability to attend and pass the Florida School Crossing Guard training course.
• Ability to successfully complete three-day on the job training conducted by the Juvenile Section.
• Ability to work with or around children.
• Ability to operate all equipment listed in the “Equipment Used” section.
Education or Equivalent Experience Required
High school diploma or GED.
Green Reflective Traffic Vest / Whistle / Gloves / Stop Paddle
Physical Effort Required
Holding upright a stop paddle with hands well above the shoulder while blowing whistle and signaling with other hand for children to cross or not to cross. Speaking to children wishing to cross the intersection while assembling the children on the sidewalk or shoulder of the road behind the guard or school patrol. Must have 20/20 vision with corrective lenses allowed, good hearing as related to the position. Must be dependable.
The work environment is outdoors in all weather conditions while standing or walking for long periods. Work may require shift work, flexible hours, days and holidays which may include nights and weekends.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
The Charlotte County Sheriff's Office does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), religion, Veterans Status, age (40 or older) disability or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
DRUG FREE / SMOKE FREE WORKPLACE / VETERANS PREFENCE
Date posted: February 06, 2023
View other job openings